Stirling observer dating

Rated 3.88/5 based on 830 customer reviews

The cinema was opened by Provost Mc Allister and seated 1,700 people.Although no longer a cinema, this iconic art deco building is still in use as a church and bingo hall. Centre section has 5 window pattern with projecting porch. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry) Probably commissioned circa 1675 by Hugh Paterson shortly after he bought the estate from Andrew, 3rd Lord Rollo (Gifford and Walker).8 October 1972: Press reports indicate that a wing of the house has been ravaged by fire.The owner intimates that he would not be prepared to sell, but is being encouraged to restore by the authorities.Attractive plans survive for the Thistle Street Picture House, Thistle Street, dating from 1921.The building opened on Saturday 19th February of that year but the plans are dated 1st June 1920.The house is generally well-maintained.21 September 2016: The Scotsman reported (7/09/2016) on the creation of a local development trust with an aim to purchase the House.The article goes on to note the selling agents have given the local group until Christmas to put forward a formal approach for the site.7 December 2016: The property has been visited by HES Survey and Recording in preparation for photographic recording.

December 2000: Local planners report that a meeting has taken place between themselves and the owner, who may now be willing to sell at some point in the future.

A site meeting between Historic Scotland, the owner's agent, and Stirling District Council identifies localised deterioration.

2 symmetrical 3 storey gabled wings with crowsteps. February 1990: Local planners report that that building has been vacant for some years, save for a section occupied by a caretaker.

This building opened on Tuesday 21st December 1915 and the architect was Ebenezer Erskine of King Street, Stirling although no plans of the building have survived.

After 30 years as a picture house, it was converted into the Plaza Ballroom after the end of the Second World War and eventually became a bingo hall and casino before being demolished.

Leave a Reply